About the Activity
Algarve is the region of Portugal best known for its beaches, but have you tried the food? With this tour you will enjoy the flavours of this region and you also will be part of it, with cooking lessons.
With this tour we combine the best places in the Algarve with the food that represents this region. Travel along the flavours of fresh bread, gold olive oil, wine, the best seafood, aromatic herbs and fresh products from natural gardens. Enjoy the Mediterranean diet, Intangible Heritage Patrimony by UNESCO.
Start your tour in Tavira, a mourish influenced town and wander around the “praças”. Stop by a typical café and ask for a “Dom Rodrigo”, a delicious pastry from these lands. On this day, you will visit Monterosa Farm to know more about the production of olive oil, this golden liquid that we appreciate so much in Portugal. Sleep in Fazenda Nova Country House where you will experience the farm to table flavours as the chef goes everyday to the local Olhão market.
Have the opportunity to do a boat tour to visit the island in Fuzeta and Ria Formosa. Try a local restaurant with the best fish.. Participate in the preparation of a traditional bread and a complete meal cooked in a wood-burning and how to do a “Cataplana” and an almond cake.
Discover Cacela Velha and “Praia da Fabrica” to enjoy a beach day.
These are some of the highlights of this experience, together with some of the best small hotels in the Algarve.
Portuguese, English, French, Spanish
Nº of people
This tour is self drive so it is up to you to decide your date of departure, we will be here!
The company providing the car rental service is Europcar. The car is a Seat Ibiza with A/C or similar.
- 7 nights’ accommodation with breakfast for two in a double room;
- Car Hire for 7 days, arranged through Europcar (pick up and dropoff at airport or other Europcar point);
- A guided visit to Monterosa Farm and its olive oil production, including an olive oil tasting and some tapas;
- A typical Portuguese Cooking Workshop for two (at Monte Álamo and afterwards you eat the epic feast that you have just made);
- A Cooking class of traditional bread together with a typical meal for two (at Monte Álamo and afterwards you eat the epic feast that you have just made);
- A boat tour in Ria Formosa (3h boat trip), visiting and enjoying 2 small islands (Ilha Armona & Ilha Culatra);
- A booklet of your trip with inside tips for unforgettable memories and local experiences.
- Arrival to Faro’s airport. Pick up the car and drive to Fazenda Nova Country House.
- Tavira, an ancient Moorish town that has retained its unique character and heritage.
Visit its streets, wander around the charming “praças” and stop by for a café and a “dom rodrigo” typical pastry.
In the afternoon return to the countryside to Fazenda Nova and discover its olive oil. You will be escorted through the Olival, with an explanation of the history behind this farm house. In the end you can taste the typical bread from Algarve with the fantastic olive oil produced in Fazenda Nova (bottle of Fazenda Nova Olive oil included).
In the end of the day, enjoy the sunset at Fazenda Nova and eat the local flavours. All ingredients are seasonal and reflect the production of the vegetable garden and the orchard, as well as the trip to the Olhão market that is made daily by the chef.
Sleep in Fazenda Nova Country House.
- After breakfast, head to Fuzeta for a 3 hour boat trip in Ria Formosa and some time spent in Ilha da Armona (30 minutes) and Ilha da Culatra (30 minutes) as well as more understanding of the protected area of Ria Formosa Natural Park. In your return try the local restaurant in Fuzeta, a typical fishermen village where you can eat freshest fish.
In the afternoon head to the countryside again, this time to a different country house, Monte do Álamo. Enjoy the sunset surrounded by olive trees. Sleep in Monte do Álamo.
- After breakfast you will head to Tavira where you will visit the market and then head again to Monte Álamo to prepare a fish “Cataplana” (a traditional recipe from the Algarve). You will also have the class of how to prepare a dessert made of almond and carob.
You will be invited to share a relaxed meal having the opportunity to taste the prepared dishes in a beautiful setting. The recipes used in these class are part of the rich and healthy Mediterranean diet, characteristic from the south of Portugal: Alentejo and Algarve. You will learn the recipes step by step, and participate in all parts of the process, from the selection of the ingredients in the local market and the farm, to the final product and posterior tasting. Using local products, with an excellent quality and the presentation of the meal is also very important, as it will be explained during the class.
In the afternoon you can enjoy the countryside. Sleep in Monte Álamo.
- Today we invite you to discover Cacela Velha and “Praia da Fabrica”. Sleep in Praia Verde Boutique Hotel.
- You will visit Sal Marim, the production of “Flor de Sal”, artisan sea salt from Castro Marim, harvested by artisan methods dating back to Roman times.
After the guided visit, you will taste this unique salt, together with algarvian bread and olive oil. In the end you will get a special gift - Salmarim Natural Blossoms of Sea Salt - Cork Box.
Sleep in Praia Verde Boutique Hotel.
- After breakfast, we suggest you to discover Praia Verde. Explore its quilometres and quilometres to walk and wander. Sleep in Praia Verde Boutique Hotel.
- After breakfast, take the car to the airport where it will be delivered and we wish a safe trip back home!
The reservation will be accepted only with payment of 30% of total program amount. This reservation must be totally confirmed until 30 days before departure, with the remaining payment.
If a customer wishes to withdraw its activity must do so in writing or by e-mail and will have to bear the costs of dropping out according to the following scale:
- 30 to 15 days before the tour start 50% of total;
- Less than 15 days the tour start or no show - 100% of total;
- In addition a fee for administrative costs of 5% of the program or a fixed minimum of € 100 will apply.