Quinta Nova – Relais & Châteaux
Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo is a place of extreme beauty, in the heart of Douro valley, and owned by Amorim family, since 1999.
The family connection to the wine comes from afar, through its connection with the export houses of Vila Nova de Gaia in the cork business. Meanwhile, the dream came true, and the project is now in the hands of the 4th generation of the family.
With a story longer than 250 years, the property displays conserved structures and the cellar original building from 1764, after interventions by the architect Arnaldo Barbosa.
But the wine estate is much earlier than this and history confirms it as a great land belonging to the Portuguese Royal House, having been identified as its first owner, in 1725.
The winery produced more than 3,500 barrels of wine from neighbouring estates, and it was soon 'integrated in the first demarcation of the region'. The historic sites that are still preserved give notice to this historic weight.
An entrepreneur spirit and family vision did however the difference because, combined with a passionate commitment to the future, determined the beginning of multiple changes to a path of oenological excellence.
In June 2005, appears the first hospitality project dedicated to wine in Portugal, initially with the name Burmester and today as Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo, fully framed in 120 ha of the property, carefully preserved, which offer traditional corners and a single authenticity.
The Quinta Nova – Relais & Châteaux is a “piece of paradise” for rest and leisure of wine lovers from all over the world.
There are 11 rooms with views over the landscape, which guarantee emotionally different accommodation in a wine ambiance and inside a Douro wine estate, where no detail is forgotten.
Along with the house, which comes out as the Portuguese wine tourism project most distinguished so far, the Winery Restaurant is born – a very elegant space settled in the Manor House main room, which extends to the outside terrace, from where you watch the vineyards leading down to the Douro river. This restaurant offers a menu that appeals to the senses and emotions, in a relaxed and curious way, creating a concept that values the flavours of local cuisine, using what nature offers best in each season. This is called “local food”, which assumes a strong character of sustainability and preservation of local food resources.
But the wine tourism activities are a constant for our visitors, including several wine tastings and visits to the winery and barrels room, a tour through the estate with a break for a picnic or a boat or train tour in the region, among many other options.